Friday, July 18, 2008
The verdict is in
Praise God, my little Emily is no longer aspirating. Her food is going down the way it should. She was considerably upset during the test and the therapist had to force feed her, but the few swallows that were seen went down safely. I cannot even describe how elated I am. I have broke down in tears several times today, just knowing that we are thru the worse of it, everything should be uphill from here. I am sure it is like being told one is healed from cancer, I am just thrilled beyond belief. I was really preparing myself to hear that she was still aspirating thin liquids. What does this all mean: basically she can eat/drink whatever she wants from a cup (or bottle, though we won't go backwards to that). I can allow her to get hungry, eat purees or chewable solids as she wants, give her formula in her cup (though I may just wait a few weeks until she is one and I can just give her vanilla flavored pediasure or something that tastes a little better). Whatever formula she doesn't drink from the cup she will continue to get thru the button, basically until we have weaned her from using it at all. I follow up with the feeding team in 3 months at which point they should give her a weight check and analyze her nutrition and hopefully if all goes well remove the button. Obviously the test just shows a moment in time so we have to watch for signs of aspiration, but the feeding therapist who we see weekly feels that there is no aspiration. I know there were so many people praying for this, God has again been good to us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment