Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Snow fun!
























































































































































































































Hooray for snow! We really enjoyed our weekend away with my parents and my brother and his family, and the snow made for a good way to burn some energy! We found a good sized hill on a golf course and gathered our various sleds and saucers. Emily probably had the most fun, and oddly enough, probably out-climbed all of us. She went down on her own once, but really preferred to have Justin flying down with her (I went a few times too, but I prefer to be the photographer). If you can't tell with all the winter gear on, Heidi is in the pink and Anna is in black (and if you click on a picture you can see them larger and much clearer). The kids also had fun playing games and doing puzzles, and I was thrilled to have another round of ebleskivers. This weekend brings another day off for the kids and some overtime for Justin. I won't being doing much resting, but rather packing up the boxes.



One thing I learned/realized this past week, thru our Bible study homework, is something I feel very convicted of. Priscilla Shirer (the author) warns that "often we seek to know God's direction more than we seek to know God". She calls us to desire a relationship with God that has nothing to do with the benefits that He may provide (how horrible to be friends with someone simply because you want something from them). Basically, I/we are using God. Again, I'll be honest, this housing thing is a MAJOR concern and we just want an answer (as does anyone with an illness or financial issue or other dilemma). I think it is easy for me to say the right things or try to do the right things in an effort to get that answer that I am so looking for. And when we don't get an answer or hear God's voice I try to figure out what I am doing wrong. Priscilla urges us to "press into God", which I am not totally sure I understand the meaning of, but she encourages practicing being in the presence of God, especially during the mundane activities of life. So again, that theme of trust is in our face, we can't coax God to do anything, we just need to wait in Him.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Good thoughts at the end! Boy, that's convicting for me too. Always praying for wisdom and direction, but missing out on just being with God. Whew... I've got so much to learn!

Kristina said...

Yep, I am finding that anytime I talk to God I automatically go to requests. I have to refocus on the old ACTS style of prayer, where I especially focus on His attributes. Jeremiah 29:11-13 says, "For I know the plan I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the Lord,". I am thankful that God knows every depth of our hearts and knows we do desire Him, and that we are still growing/changing to become who He made us to be.