Friday, September 19, 2008

Our experiment


Emily just wanted to immerse herself in her research :). So the last time Emily had milk/pediasure thru the tube was Tuesday night. I am very pleased with the progress overall. She has definitely increased the amount of purees she is eating, and drank the most milk she has ever drunk thus far. She even munched on a garlic breadstick last night, a major improvement. I love being free of the clock and she is spending so much less time in the highchair. She is still not interested in breakfast, aside from a few Trix and some milk. She seems to be hungrier as the day goes on, like she realizes that she isn't getting anything extra to keep her full. I think she needs to be re-programmed (for lack of a better word) to eat until she is full, without getting bored or distracted (I have had to use numerous distractions to get food down, but at least she is eating it). Basically, she has been "force-fed"for the last nine months, so I suspect that this new approach to food will take several days to set in. At this point I have seen enough improvement to keep going, I think to go back to supplementing would confuse Emily. The nice thing is I have access to her stomach if she has several bad days or gets sick. The different articles I have read online strongly stress letting a child determine how much they want to eat. One of the moms at the girls' school has 5 kids and when I asked how old her littlest was she said that she was a year and a half, but she is small. And I thought to myself that is perfectly ok to be small, our society pushes for big babies, big kids (myself included, I was very proud of how big Luke was), but at some point (middle school or so) everyone wants to be small and skinny. So I just keep telling myself all this, and God has helped me to relax a little. So here is to a relaxing weekend!!

No comments: