Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Is it the end?

I feel like we are walking on eggshells, will things heal right this time? Emily and I just got home today from a 5 day stay at the hospital (we recognized many of the nurses, not a good sign). Emily had a third surgery yesterday. Basically the hole that the surgeon repaired last Wednesday fell apart within 24 hours. She was leaking food and old blood all over. The dr sent us to the ER Friday to get an iv hooked up, he came Saturday to switch the button to a tube (same idea, the tube is just longer and works away from the body more). Once again it leaked, but not as bad so he said we could stay for a few days to get help changing dressings and such. Then he had a brainstorm and returned the next day to say he was going to do surgery again. After the second surgery he sewed things a little differently (because some things had healed already), but unfortunately the way he did it was allowing stomach acid to go in places it shouldn't and was eating away at the stitches for a second time. So at yesterday's surgery he closed the first hole completely and made a new one. Emily is doing ok, she is certainly in more pain this time and her feedings weren't sitting well at first, but today she is keeping them down. And so for the last time I hope we are done and she can heal properly. The older kids had a harder time (they did have fun with grandpa and grandmas and daddy), but they just were more crabby overall. I am sure the insurance company loves us!! Hopefully we all can get some sleep tonight.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Ugh, you poor thing!!! I hope things start to look up for you soon!