Saturday, September 10, 2011

Worry



I wanted to share a few things that God is teaching me about worry and stress, as I think it is very relevant while we "figure out" our housing situation. Now, I am a fairly methodical person, but when it comes to God's Word, I usually just open up to any passage and see what God might have to say to me. So, the other day I landed in Matthew, chapter 6 where God talks about the flowers being dressed in splendor and the birds being fed, without a care in the world, and about how much more He loves us, so not to worry. It is a commonly read passage. The verse that struck me was verse 33, that says, "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow...". He will provide for us, as we yearn for Him. I was then reading in One Thousand Gifts (and I love when God does this...teaching me where I need to be taught). The author also struggles with worry and stress and anxiety, and this is a little of what she learns:


  • stress is a joy stealer, and is exactly the opposite of what God tells us to do. Instead, He says to trust Him (John 14:1)

  • trust is the action of belief, and it takes work, discipline. Stress seems easier, and is focused on us, instead of Him. "If authentic, saving belief is the act of trusting, then to choose stress is an act of disbelief...the opposite of faith is fear".

  • giving thanks is what builds trust; when we count our blessings we see that God can be counted on. "This living a lifestyle of intentional gratitude became an unintentional test in the trustworthiness of God--and in counting blessings I stumbled upon the way out of fear...gratitude is what births trust...the true belief"

  • and my favorite point: Romans 8:32 says, "He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all--how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things." God gave us His Son, is there anything He won't give us? (obviously, God is not in the business of giving us all the material things that we desire, but instead provides us with what we need to grow our souls). "We can give thanks in everything because there's a good God leading, working all things into good. It is safe to trust!"

Ok, so I have more to read in this chapter, but I was eager to share these few thoughts. There is no reason to worry, God is fully, totally, and always trustworthy! His promise stands unbreakable, forever. Emily saw this rainbow a few weeks back and said, "Look, God's promise!"

No comments: