
This is a picture of my mom and I; I must be about 6 or 7 I am guessing (the kids didn't know what that black thing was in the background, a phone with a cord...what? ) Some of you may think I mention my mom a lot on this blog, especially since she has been gone so long (19 years today--where did the time go). I actually think it is important to share my mom, especially with my kids. Emily once told me she can't wait to meet my mom in heaven (she also told God that she doesn't want to go to heaven yet, because she loves her family here). My mom is a huge part of my life, and anyone who has lost a significant family member knows that their life and memories shape who we are. After attending a few funerals this month I got to thinking about our legacy, my legacy. What will people say about me when I am gone; will I just be forgotten? We try not to care about what people think and say about us, but the truth is that our actions and words are constantly affecting others, most often, and most importantly, our immediate family. I recently read a devotion that talked about making memories with our kids, and how those memories should not involve the smell of Pinesol. Who cares if the floors are squeaky clean, and the furniture shining (I, myself, struggle with this one; I like a clean, put-together appearance). Our kids, and spouse, and family members should have meaningful memories of fun times shared, of good conversations, and of laughter. I have a video of my mom's laughter, it always makes me smile, especially because it sounds just like mine, and it is majorly contagious. It can be a buzz-kill to live our lives thinking of the grave, but we are all going there one day and our time here has intense meaning. We get to choose, everyday, what legacy we leave. I am the first to admit I make constant mistakes, but I hope that my kids will forgive and forget those, and instead remember the good times, the gifts, the smiles, because that makes us who we are.
4 comments:
I was thinking of you today....I can't believe it's been 19 years. I still remember that day like it was yesterday.
What a great blog post! Also, I can't believe how much you look like Heidi and Anna in this photo! Well... how much they look like you. =)
Thanks for the thoughts Amanda, I agree it is hard to imagine that she has been gone so long, and missed so much. Thanks Elizabeth, I guess they do look like me :), I don't see it as much when I see them everyday.
Yup, that one brought tears to my eyes, even though I never met your mom, I know her through you. Happy Mother's Day Kristina, Love you.
Post a Comment