Saturday, August 28, 2010

A heavy backpack

The heavy backpack I am referring to is not for the school age kids, yet, anyway. They are continuing to do well in school. We are so proud of just how well they have adapted to a new school, new teachers, and new friends. No the backpack that I am thinking of is Emily's. I heard back from the kidney doctor yesterday, though it was while I was picking up the kids from school so I didn't get to write down exactly what she said, so some details are a little fuzzy (plus she was talking about 3 tests so I got mixed up on the different results). What I do know is that Emily has about twice the normal limits of calcium in her urine. This is causing trauma to the blood vessels which is why there is trace amounts of blood in her urine. There are no kidney stones, but there is sludge in her bladder, possibly from infection. She is anemic, which was a surprise as she has been fine in the past when the pediatrician checked it. I believe, and this is what I am not sure of, is that she also has calcium in the blood, though it is, just barely, within the normal limits (this can cause heart issues if not kept within the limits). So what this all means is that she will need to be on another medicine, and more routine tests to check the levels of calcium and iron (I don't know the method of giving the medicine, hopefully it is something we can do thru the g-tube). We will not start this med until after we see the specialist in November (obviously nothing is urgent). My question is "where is the extra calcium coming from, are her bones becoming more brittle?" (remember, her condition is about advanced aging). We also saw the pediatrician for a 3 year check up and she recommended we see an orthopaedic doctor for her feet, hips, and spine, and an optimologist (again nothing urgent, just to get things checked out). So I guess I feel a little heavy hearted, just more things to worry about. And if you could remember to pray for Justin on Monday during this hiring session at the train company, that God will open the door if that is where Justin is supposed to work. Happy weekend!

No comments: