Well, it came...I couldn't avoid it any longer. I am the big 3-0. I think we call any jump into the next decade a "big" one, it just feels like you are more than a year older. In reality, it was not a big deal, everyone has to do it at some point, right! I know for myself it has been a wake up call, in that I realized just how young my mom was when she got sick (only 34), and died (at 36). I had a really nice birthday, spending time with family and eating out. Justin and the kids were very thoughtful in their decorations, cards, and gifts (as was my extended family-thanks). One of the things that had been reiterated several times in the last few days is that there are only two things in this life that last, that are eternal, and therefore really matter. One is God and His Word, and the other is people's souls. So on to a new decade of learning and growing, and celebrating God's good gifts to us.
I am sticking to my gluten-free lifestyle, for a month at least, trying to see if I can feel better even for just a few days a week. So far I have had some days that I almost feel normal, and others where I think I am experiencing fiber overload (some days I have 7-8 servings of fruit and veggies). I am finding that wheat is hiding in a lot of things, particularly many products that are gluten free, but are made on equipment that handles wheat (like one brand of chickpeas, or even vanilla ice cream). I received several gluten-free cookbooks for my birthday, so I am excited to try some new recipes (quiche made with mashed potato crust, a spinach and broccoli dip, etc.)
Justin has been making his usual phone calls about elevator work. He has several potential leads. He has some decisions to make, but we know that God will guide him to the right job. After two years (from his initial lay-off) we do find it hard to balance between hope and making realistic choices. We are just very blessed to have fewer bills to worry about for a while! And we are thankful for the little things, healthy kids this winter (knock on wood) and 50 degree temps tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment