Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A new label




It is really more of a diagnosis I guess, but Emily is now considered to have childhood anorexia. We were at the feeding clinic today and the GI wants to get Emily's weight up to the 50 % percentile. He feels that the better nourished kids are the better they eat (he even said there are studies that show that food tastes better as we get heavier). So he hopes that (though he says there is a 50% chance of it happening) that as Emily gains weight and gets to a better nutritional state she will eat better. Her appetite should increase on it's own. If it does not he will put her on a appetite increasing medicine (can you tell I cannot remember medical lingo at all). I guess he very rarely prescribes such a drug. He also said that he has not had a kid like Emily, who just won't eat for no good reason. So I have to increase her daily amount of pediasure to 40 oz (she currently gets 28ish). Then in 2-3 months she will hopefully be at a healthy weight and we can work on using the tube less. We will continue therapy with the OT, but probably discontinue her weekly speech therapy as that therapist has not been very helpful. So the road it still looking a little long.
And yesterday was the 17th anniversary of my mom's death. As I edge closer to 30 I realize just how young she was, only 36. Every year (I should have keep track) the weather is sunny and spring-like on this anniversary, the weather my mom loved.

No comments: